Saturday, April 19, 2014

QUOTATION: Lack of Resolve

St. Alphonsus Liguori

The slothful man is ever desiring, but never resolves to take the means suitable to his state of life to become a saint. He says: "Oh, if I were but in solitude, and not in this house! Oh, if I could but go and reside in another monastery, I would give myself entirely up to God!" And meanwhile he cannot support a certain companion; he cannot put up with a word of contradiction; he is dissipated about many useless cares; he commits a thousand faults of gluttony, of curiosity, and of pride; and yet he sighs loud to the wind: "Oh, if I had but!" or "Oh, if I could I but!" etc. Such desires do more harm than good; be cause some regale themselves upon them, and in the meantime go on leading a life of imperfection.

--St. Alphonsus Liguori, The Holy Eucharist