Saturday, October 26, 2013

QUOTATION: A Good Christian is Like a Dog

Bernese Mountain DogThe dog is more loyal than a son, more obedient than a servant, and more docile than a child. Not only does he willingly do what his master orders, but he scans his master's face to tell from his looks what he wants, so that he can do it without being told to, with the greatest alacrity and joy. He even shares his master's affections, becoming a friend of his friends and an enemy of his enemies. I should practice all these beautiful traits in serving God, my beloved Master. Yes, I shall gladly do what He commands me, and I shall study to know and do his will without waiting for a command. I shall promptly and gladly do all that He disposes through his representatives, my superiors. I shall be a friend of the friends of God, and I shall treat his enemies as He tells me, barking out against their wickedness to make them leave it.

The dog watches by day and redoubles his vigilance by night. He guards the person and the property of his master. He barks at and bites all those he knows or suspects are planning to harm his master or his master's interests. I should strive to be always vigilant, and denounce vices, faults, and sins, and cry out against the enemies of the soul.

The dog's greatest joy is to be in his master's presence and walk along beside him. I shall strive always to walk joyfully in the presence of God, my dear Master. Thus I will never sin and will become perfect, according to his word: "Walk in my presence and be blameless.'' (Gen. 17:1).

--St. Anthony Mary Claret, Autobiography